HUNTINGDON, Pennsylvania (October 7, 2022) – Junior Liz Patterson finished with a team-high eight spikes, but the Stevens Institute of Technology women’s volleyball team fell to No. 3 Juniata College 3-1 (14-25, 25-18, 11-25, 12-25) on Friday at night in a non-conference matchup at the Memorial Gymnasium as part of the Juniata Invitational.
Senior ava smithy it ended with three spikes and three blocks for the Ducks, who saw their seven-game winning streak come to an end as they fell to 14-5 on the year.
Mackenzie Coley and Audrey Muth each finished with a match-high 13 kills to lead Juniata, who won her eighth straight match to improve to 15-1.
After Juniata took the first set, Stevens put in his best performance of the match in the second, hitting .243 (11-3-33) to outlast the Eagles by a 25-18 margin to even the match at one. After the teams battled back and forth in the opening points, a 5-1 run by the Ducks, sparked by a pair of spikes and an ace by Patterson, pushed Stevens in front for good. A 6-1 run pushed the Ducks’ lead to 17-10 and the Ducks scored seven of the last 10 points to close out the frame. Patterson recorded half of his kills in the set to help the Ducks even the match.
Juniata responded by delivering his best performance in the third set, hitting .400 (13-3-25) to win the inning. An 8-0 run opened the set after a junior kill she maggio and an attacking error put the Ducks within four (11-7).
The Ducks took an early lead in the final set capitalizing on three Juniata errors to build a 4-0 lead. The host Eagles responded with six straight points to force a timeout for Duck and Juniata added one more point to the run after the break in play to take a 13-7 lead. A double block by Patterson and Smithing helped bring the Ducks within five, but another long drive led Juniata to close out the win.
inside the numbers
- Eight different players had at least one kill for the Ducks.
- Each team had three aces.
- Second year student Bailey Axelrad he finished with a match-high 21 digs. Patterson and freshman gaby roberts each added eight.
- Roberts finished with a team-high 12 assists.
- The matchup was the first between the shows since 2018.
- Junior meg dion he was the Ducks’ most efficient hitter, making four kills on seven hits (with two errors). The third-year middle also had two blocks.
From the Sidelines – Head Coach brianna jones
- “Unfortunately, we weren’t able to maintain a high level of play! There were definitely some great moments, for sure, but we weren’t able to put them together consistently.”
Until next time
- Women’s volleyball concludes Saturday at the Juniata Invitational, with matches against Messiah and Mary Washington.
- The matchup with the Falcons is believed to be the first between the teams, while the matchup with Mary Washington is the first since 2017.
- Links for live stats and videos are available at StevensDucks.com.
Facebook: “Like” Stevens Athletics