Posted on September 4, 2022 at 7:31 am
Labor Day is a legal holiday that falls on the first Monday in September every year, which means you can land anywhere from September 1 to September 7. This year it is September 5.
Labor Day, a holiday since 1894, was the result of pressure from Canada’s many unions on the federal government until Prime Minister John Sparrow David Thompson finally introduced legislation, which received royal assent in July 1894. .
So what is open and what is closed next Monday? Most businesses in Niagara Falls and Niagara-on-the-Lake remain open, as both the city and town are designated tourist destinations and therefore may remain open on federal or provincial holidays.
The other 10 townships in Niagara, including St. Catharines and Welland, are mostly closed. While some companies post the hours, others add “Hours may differ” because it’s a holiday. The best bet? Call ahead.
(For each business below, please call ahead as most post “Hours May Differ”)
- Canada One at Niagara Falls
- SmartCentres at Niagara Falls
- Niagara Outlet Collection at Niagara-on-the-Lake
- Some smaller grocery stores like Rabba Grocery Stores
- There are over 60 wineries/vineyards in the Niagara region and most will be open. Call your favorite for times.
- Silversmith Brewing, 1523 Niagara Stone Rd
- Counterpart Brewing, 3659 Stanley Ave, Niagara Falls
- Bench Brewing, 3991 King St, Beamsville
- Lock Street Brewing, 15 Lock St, St. Catharines
- Niagara Oast House Brewing, 2017 Niagara Stone Rd, Niagara-on-the-Lake
- The Exchange Brewery, 7 Queen St, Niagara-on-the-Lake
- Cold Break Brewing, 193 St Paul St W, St. Catharines
- Niagara Brewing, 4915-A Clifton Hill, Niagara Falls
- Blackburn Brew House, 8001 Blackburn Pkwy, Niagara Falls
- Beer/Wine Gretzky Estate, 1219 Niagara Stone Rd, Niagara-on-the-Lake
- Most bars and restaurants
- Shoppers Drug Marts
- All family-oriented Niagara Falls tourist attractions, but call ahead
Closed Labor Day:
- All town halls and town halls
- Federal and provincial government offices
- All municipal offices
- Most grocery stores are closed, but call ahead to make sure
- The Pen Center in St Catharines (Landmark cinemas are open)
- Fairview Shopping Center in St Catharines
- Briarfield Shopping Center in St Catharines
- Pendale Square in St Catharines
- Seaway Mall in Welland
- SmartCentres in Welland and St Catharines
- Niagara College Teaching Brewery, 135 Taylor Rd, Niagara-on-the-Lake
Decew Falls Brewing, 207 St Paul St W, St Catharines
- Dragan Brewing, 100 Grantham Ave S Unit 1, St. Catharine
- Most community centers and libraries, but call ahead
- Canada Post (no pickup or mail delivery)
- Community Recycling Centers
- All LCBOs
- All beer stores
- All the small community centers and libraries, but call ahead as a handful, including St. Catharines, are posting that they are closed.
- provincial government offices
- GO Transit will operate on a holiday schedule
- Transit services in St Catharines, Welland and Niagara Falls will operate on holiday hours
- There is no garbage collection on Monday, September 5
Community Recycling Centers will be closed on Monday
insauga editorial standards and policies
To stay knowledge
Sign up now to receive our daily email with today’s top news in your city!