Dan Istitene – Formula 1fake images
- Jamie Chadwick may be coming out of the F1 pipeline and onto a path that could eventually lead to a seat in the NTT IndyCar Series.
- Chadwick, 24, has dominated the W Series with wins in five of the six races this season for the Caitlyn Jenner-owned Jenner Racing team.
- He will be testing an Indy Lights car for Andretti Autosport on September 21 at Sebring.
Jamie Chadwick might finally be one step closer to a great ride on an open wheel.
And no, he is not in Formula 1.
Chadwick, soon to be a three-time W-Series champion, may be breaking out of the F1 pipeline and onto a path that could eventually lead to a seat in the NTT IndyCar Series.
An Andretti Autosport official confirmed with autoweek Thursday that the team will give Chadwick what it calls “an evaluation test.” Andretti Autosport COO Rob Edwards recently told RACER that Chadwick will be testing a Dallara IL15 Indy Lights car.
The test is scheduled for September 21 in Sebring.
Chadwick, 24, has dominated the W Series with wins in five of the six races this season for the Caitlyn Jenner-owned Jenner Racing team, where she teams up with American racer Chloe Chambers. Chadwick won 11 of the 20 races in series history, stood on the podium in 18 of those races and was champion in both 2019 and 2021. The 2020 season was canceled due to the pandemic.
So far, the exposure and success of the W-Series has given the British driver the opportunity to secure a development driver position with the Williams F1 team. He has also driven in the Extreme E series.
However, in F1 terms, his development driver title basically means working in a simulator and representing Williams on race weekends. There is no indication that he is even in line for an official testing season on the F1 track during a race weekend.
And, based on comments made by F1 CEO Stefano Domenicali last week, Chadwick might be better off joining any category other than Formula 1.
“Realistically speaking, unless there is something like a meteor, I don’t see a girl coming into F1 in the next five years,” Domenicali said in a report published by Sky Sports. “That is highly unlikely.”