September 12, 2022
The CNS office in Washington, DC has launched a new website focused on export control compliance issues. CNS in DC is conducting export controls investigations for emerging technology controls, particularly in the context of strategic competition. As part of that investigation, the DC office has developed guidance for various emerging technology sectors on how best to ensure compliance with export controls and nonproliferation goals more broadly. Therefore, a central purpose of the website is to distill the sectoral guidance generated through this research.
The guide includes more than 30 case studies related to technology transfers involving Russia and China. The website also features introductory materials on trade controls, including export controls, proliferation financing controls, and sanctions. This website will serve as a clearinghouse for CNS research on trade controls and the proliferation of emerging technologies. It will continue to evolve and update to reflect additional materials as they are produced.
The industry guide on export controls in an era of strategic competition includes the following sections:
- Strategic Competition
- Trends in Technology Acquisition
- Sector Analysis (a synthesis sector mapping effort on specific industries)
- red flags
- Compliance Guide
- case studies
In addition to these main sections, the website features additional resources and topics, such as suggestions for additions to the Internal Compliance Program (ICP) guide, use of vendors, and techniques for due diligence investigation. The introductory material currently includes the following:
- Introduction to export controls
- Trade Compliance at Universities and Research Institutes
- Financing of proliferation
As CNS continues to investigate these issues, the website will be updated. Some of the upcoming content to be added to the website includes the following:
- Video content for specific sections and case studies in the sector guide
- Summary of trade control measures related to the Russian invasion of Ukraine
- CNS analysis of Russia’s defense supply chains
- Machine Tool and Additive Manufacturing Industry Analysis Sections The website can be accessed at https://www.tradecompliance.io/. You can also sign up for the CNS DC newsletter by updating your preferences on this registration form or by following CNS DC at Twitter.