Manchester City right-back Kyle Walker has undergone groin surgery, with no timetable set for his possible return.
Fellow England internationals John Stones and Kalvin Phillips remain out.
Southampton have no new injury problems, with Romeo Lavia and Tino Livramento their only continuing absences.
Adam Armstrong and Juan Larios have trained after minor injury problems, while manager Ralph Hasenhuttl said “one or two” unnamed players have overcome the illness.
CHRIS SUTTON’S PREDICTION
There are strong rumors that Southampton manager Ralph Hasenhuttl is about to be sacked, which must be big news when you’re about to play Manchester City.
The Saints drew with City at home and away last season, but it’s hard to see them achieving anything at the Etihad Stadium this time around, or even coming close.
You could see Pep Guardiola’s side moving up a cricket score here, if they wanted to, but with his busy schedule he seems to be happy for them to take their foot off the gas when the game is won.
Because of that, I’m not going to go too big here. I can see City scoring four goals pretty quickly, and then just galloping through the rest of the game.
Sutton’s full predictions against Scotland defender Ryan Porteous
head to head
- Both league games last season ended in draws as Manchester City beat Southampton 4-1 in the FA Cup quarter-finals.
- The Saints have not won in 13 competitive visits to the Etihad Stadium since winning 3-1 in the Premier League in their first game at the ground in April 2004 (D2, L11).
- Their only win in 14 league and cup games against Pep Guardiola’s Manchester City was 1-0 in the Premier League in July 2020 (D3, L10).
- They are the first club to score at least three goals in eight consecutive top-flight home games since Spurs in 1965. The most recent team to do so in nine successive games was Wolves in 1959 (W7, D2).
- City’s tally of 29 goals is their joint most after eight Premier League games, equaling their own record from 2017-18. The most after nine games is 33 for City in 2011-12
- It’s a loss in 36 league games for City, a 3-2 home loss against Spurs in February.
- Erling Haaland has scored 14 times in eight Premier League appearances, including a hat-trick in each of City’s last three home games in the division.
- Kevin De Bruyne has provided eight assists in the league this season, matching his tally from 2021-22. Southampton is the rival that has directly scored the most goals in the Premier League, with four goals and eight assists.
- The Saints have lost 14 of their last 20 games in the top flight, winning just three times.
- They are enduring a club record run of 18 Premier League away games without a clean sheet.
- All seven points this season were won from a losing position. The Saints lost both league games in which they took the lead.
- Southampton have dropped 92 points from winning positions under Ralph Hasenhuttl, 20 more than any other team since his first game in charge.
- They have used four Premier League players signed from Manchester City over the summer: Gavin Bazunu, Juan Larios, Romeo Lavia and Samuel Edozie.
Predict Manchester City’s starting XI for their next match. Remember that you can change the formation!
Predict Southampton’s starting XI for their next match. Remember that you can change the formation!
- Our coverage of your Premier League club is bigger and better than ever – here it is All you need to know to make sure you never miss a moment