Oh New York City! The concrete jungle where dreams are made. A city that is always alive and full of energy. And a place that can be as magical at night as it is during the day. Whether you’re a local New Yorker or visiting for the first time, there’s no denying that New York City is one of the most exciting places in the world.
One of the best things about New York City is that there is always something to do, no matter the time of day or night. And while the city is definitely meant to be experienced with friends or family, that doesn’t mean one can’t have an epic solo experience as well. Here are some great things to do in New York City at night when you’re flying solo.
Top Of The Rock: Enjoy the best sunset views
One of the most popular tourist attractions in New York City is Rockefeller Center, and for good reason. The art deco complex is home to iconic buildings like 30 Rockefeller Plaza (also known as “30 Rock”) and Radio City Music Hall. It’s also where Top of the Rock is located, one of the best places in the city to watch the sunset.
For those who want to avoid the crowds (and cost) of climbing to the top of the Empire State Building, Top of the Rock is a great alternative. The observatory deck is located on the 67th, 69th, and 70th floors of 30 Rockefeller Plaza and offers stunning 360-degree views of the city. It’s best to arrive a few minutes before sunset so you can see the horizon change color as the sun sets.
- Opening Hours: 9 a.m. to 11 p.m.
- costs: $3-40 per person for general admission
- Note: Last entry is at 10:10 PM, so plan accordingly
New York Broadway Play – Check Out a Show
Broadway shows are one of the most popular things to do in New York City, and there’s no better time to see one than at night. While it’s definitely possible to find discount tickets for daytime performances, there’s something special about seeing a show under the bright lights of Broadway. There are dozens of great plays and musicals to choose from, but some of the most popular right now include Hamilton, Wicked, and The Phantom of the Opera.
- Hours of operation: Show times vary by production, but most Broadway shows start around 8 p.m.
- Cost: $20 to $145 per ticket, depending on show and seating area
- Note: It’s always a good idea to buy tickets in advance, especially for popular shows.
Times Square: Where the Magic Happens
No trip to New York City is complete without a visit to Times Square, and it’s even more magical at night. Once the sun goes down, the square lights up with bright neon signs and giant LED screens. It’s definitely worth exploring, even if it’s just for the people watching. And for those feeling really adventurous, they can climb to the top of One Times Square, the building where the New Year’s Eve ball drop takes place.
- Hours: 24 hours
- Cost: Free!
- Note: watch out for pickpockets in busy areas like Times Square
New York nightlife: the city that never sleeps
New York City is known for its nightlife, so it would be a shame to visit and not experience it for yourself. Whether you’re looking for a fancy cocktail bar or a rowdy nightclub, it’s all here. Visit some of the city’s hottest clubs and bars including Le Bain at The Standard, 230 Fifth and The McKittrick Hotel.
- Hours: Most of the bars and clubs are open until at least 2 am, some even later.
- Cost: Free entry, but expect to spend at least $20 on drinks
- Note: Many clubs have a dress code, so it’s best to check before you go.
Karaoke: Sing with all your heart
Karaoke is always a good time, no matter what part of the world you’re visiting. But for those who really want to get it right, New York City is the place to be. There are dozens of great karaoke bars throughout the city. Some of the more popular spots include New York Karaoke Club, The Fat Black Pussycat, and Arlene’s Grocery.
- Hours: Depends on the bar but most are open until at least 2am
- Cost: Admission to most is free, but you may need to buy a drink or two
- Note: You may have to register in advance to sing, so check with the bar before you go.
Cruise: The Best Way To See The City
One of the best ways to see New York City is from the water, and there are plenty of New York City water cruises to choose from. There are day cruises and sunset cruises, but the night cruises are definitely the most popular. One can see all or most of the city’s landmarks lit up against the night sky.
Some of the best cruises include the Bateaux New York Dinner Cruise, the Spirit of New York Dinner Cruise, and the Circle Line Sightseeing Cruises.
- Hours: Depends on the cruise, but most depart at night.
- Cost: Varies by cruise
- Note: Dress comfortably and maybe even bring a jacket, as it can get chilly on the water.
Enjoy New York at night!
No matter what one is looking for, New York City has something to offer. It is a city that never sleeps, so one is guaranteed an amazing time, even if doing it alone.