Eastern Illinois (0-1) vs. No. 11 Chattanooga (1-0)
O’Brien Field (10,000) • Charleston, Illinois.
September 10, 2022 • 6 pm • TV: ESPN+
EIU Game Notes | Chattanooga Notes | Listen live | Live Statistics | Watch it on ESPN+
NOTES TO KNOW
• Eastern Illinois opened the 2022 season last Thursday night with a 34-27 loss to defending Mid-American Conference champion Northern Illinois. EIU had the ball and drove to the NIU 38-yard line when time expired in the loss. The 27 points scored by EIU were the most in a season opener since the 2013 season when EIU beat San Diego State 40-19 to open the year. The 276 passing yards Jonah O’Brien they were the most by an EIU quarterback in a season opener since the 2016 season (Mitch Kimble – 323 vs. Western Illinois).
• Eastern Illinois was efficient on third down in the season opener against Northern Illinois. EIU was 8 of 12 on the third try, good for a 67 percent rate. The Panthers are currently tied for second in the FCS in 3rd down conversion rate with Eastern Kentucky and Gardner-Webb. Samford is the FCS leader with a 73 percent success rate. Last season, the EIU offense ranked 120th in the FCS in 3rd down conversion rate at 25.3 percent (42 of 166).
• stone galloway he was named the Ohio Valley Conference Special Teams Player of the Week after the first game in Northern Illinois. Galloway was 2-for-2 on field goal attempts connecting from 34 yards and 25 yards in the first half. He added three extra points that account for nine of the Panthers’ 27 points. Galloway has now made six straight field goals since last season and eight of his last nine. He is now 15-for-22 in his career and needs one more field goal to move into the top 10 of his career at EIU (10th-Dave Straunch … 1982-83, 16 runs scored).
• Running backwards Peter Markenzy he rushed for 100 yards on 14 carries for an average of 7.1 yards per carry in the season opener at Northern Illinois. The last EIU running back to rush for 100 yards in a game was Jaelin Benefield with 120 on March 14, 2021 at Tennessee State. The last EIU running back to rush for 100 yards in the season opener was Vincent Webb with 104 yards during the 2004 season opener against Indiana State.
• linebacker Elijah Tolbert he recorded 11 tackles to lead the Panthers defense in the first game in Northern Illinois. Tolbert had one solo tackle and ten assisted tackles while adding 1.5 tackles for loss and a half sack. Last season EIU had three different players (Colin Bohanek, jordan vincent Y Jason Johnson) all finish with ten or more tackles in at least one game.