North Carolina (1-0) at Appalachian State (0-0)
Boone, NC • Saturday, September 3, 2022 • Noon ET
Kidd Brewer Stadium (30,000) • ESPNU
Carolina Soccer Media Center
Series vs. App Status: Tied 1-1
Series Streak: App State won the last game
Last meeting: App State won 34-31, 2019
Last UNC victory: 56-6, 1940
Record: 1-0 (0-0 ACC)
Coach: brown mack (Florida State, ’74)
General registration: 266-139-1, year 34
Record at UNC: 91-63-1, year 14
Record: 0-0 (0-0 Sun Belt)
Head Coach: Shawn Clark (State of the App, ’98)
Overall record: 20-7, 3rd year
Record at FAMU: 20-7, 3rd year
Start: noon ET
ESPNU: Mark Neely, play-by-play; Charles Arbuckle, analyst; Dana Boyle, on the sidelines
Tar Heel Sports Net: jones angell, play to play; Brian Simmons, analyst; Lee Pace, on the sidelines
Satellite Radio: SiriusXM (158 or 202), App (956)
Website: A live Tar Heel Sports Network radio broadcast is available on UNC’s official sports website, GoHeels.com, as well as through the TuneIn app.
TAR HEELS AND MOUNTAINEERS
• Carolina visits Appalachian State on Saturday, September 3, in just the third all-time meeting between the state’s two schools and the first game played in Boone.
• The Tar Heels earned a 56-16 home victory over the Mountaineers in the opening game of the 1940 season.
• In 2019, the Mountaineers posted a 34-31 win at Kenan Stadium.
• brown mack was the head coach at Appalachian State in 1983 and a senior adviser to the head coach sparkling woods he served as head coach from 1984 to 1988 at Boone after working on Brown’s staff in ’83.
BROWN VS. APPALACHIAN STATE
• Coach Brown will face the Mountaineers for the second time in his illustrious coaching career.
• The first occurrence was the 34-31 setback in 2019.
• drake maye he became the first Tar Heel quarterback to throw five touchdown passes in a starting debut and the first to throw five in a season-opening game when he did so against Florida A&M last Saturday night.
• Maye becomes the seventh UNC QB to record five touchdown passes in a game and is the first since sam howell he shot for five against Virginia in 2021.
• Running backwards Omarion Hampton’s 101 rushing yards marked the first Tar Heel freshman to rush for 100+ yards in his first college game since Carolina legend Charlie “Choo Choo” Justice rushed for 102 yards against Virginia Tech on September 28, 1046.
• UNC faces a second Sun Belt Conference opponent in as many weeks when the Tar Heels travel to Atlanta to take on Georgia State on Saturday, September 10 for a noon event on ESPNU.
• Carolina returns home to face Notre Dame on September 24.