A new season brings changes for the Little Falls Mounties, moving from Rikki Smith, a four-year starter who set quarterback records, and moving from Class C to Class D football competition.
The change in classes marks major changes to the schedule for Little Falls, which began the 2021 season with wins in three of its first four games en route to a 4-3 finish and a Section III Class C playoff appearance. . Mt. Markham and Sherburne-Earlville, two of the teams Little Falls beat in Class C2 last fall, move to Class D East with the Mounties and will join Dolgeville, Herkimer and Waterville/Hamilton.
Plus:Section III schedule groups Herkimer County schools for 2022 football season
The Mounties added a Week Zero game against Canastota, the team they beat to start the season last fall, then play last year’s other familiar opponents, Sherburne-Earlville and Mt. Markham, at home the next two weeks. . They play their first three league games at home before ending the regular season with games at Herkimer and Waterville.
The team’s longest road trips will be the Class D crossings at Onondaga and Sandy Creek.
The All-State selections Smith and wide receiver Logan Frederick, a transfer for his senior year of high school, sparked an offense that averaged 30 points in its first five games last fall and amassed nearly 1,500 passing yards, a season record for the school. With their graduation, senior Brayton Langdon and junior Xavier Dunn, two of the receivers on last year’s team, will take snaps at quarterback with all-league picks Sam Phillips and Chase Regan, two more returning receivers. , between passing targets. Junior Mason Rowley, another all-league pick, returns at running back and the line returns with three more league stars: Connor Baylor, AJ Bowers and Tanner Jaquay.
Little Falls football at a glance
- Coach: brian shepardson
- League: Class D East
- 2021 records: 4-3 in Class C2 in the fall; 3-2 in the spring
- Last Section III Championship: Little Falls has never won a sectional football title
Little Falls Soccer Schedule 2022
- September 2: in Basket, 7 pm
- September 9: vs. Sherburne-Earlville, 7 p.m.
- 16 of September: vs. Mount Markham, 7 p.m.
- September 23: at Onondaga, 7 p.m.
- September 30th: vs. Dolgeville, 7 p.m.
- October 7: vs. Sandy Creek, 7 p.m.
- October 14th: at Waterville/Hamilton, 7 p.m.
- October 21: at Herkimer, 19:00
Marquee Showdowns for Little Falls Mounties
“All of our games are going to be tough,” coach Bryan Shepardson predicted. “We start with a tough away league game away from home and every week after that it’s going to be tough and physical. The D East has always been a physical division, but it’s going to be good to play some local teams this season.” Among those local teams will be Mt. Markham, a Class C rival that Little Falls beat in overtime twice in 2021, once in the Fall II season in the spring and again during the fall season, and neighbors Herkimer and Dolgeville, the Reigning Sectional Champion Class D.
Top Players Returning to Little Falls
- Derek Barnes, jr, Law School/Law School
- Connor Baylor, sr, OL/DL (all leagues)
- AJ Blowers, sr, OL/LB (all leagues)
- Xavier Dunn, Jr, QB/WR/DB
- Zach Fallis, Jr., WR/DB
- Noah Foster, Jr, OL/DL
- Tanner Jaquay, sr, OL/DL (all leagues)
- Brayton Langdon, sr, QB/WR/DB (all leagues)
- Braden McCumber, Jr., RB/LB
- Dylan Mullen, Sr, OL/DL
- Sam Phillips, sr, WR/LB (all leagues)
- Chase Regan, sr, WR/DB (all leagues)
- Ayden Rosscup, Senior, OL/DL
- Mason Rowley, jr, RB (all leagues)