Breakdown of Fastest NFL Players in 2022 Using Next Gen Stats originally appeared on NBC Sports Bayarea
How fast do you have to be to make it to the NFL? This is a question many rookies need to consider on their journey to the big leagues.
The NFL flourishes with some of the fastest athletes on the planet and the statistics prove it. The NFL’s Next Gen Stats has been tracking ball carrier speed since 2016 and can determine a player’s top speed of possession.
Let’s take a look at his latest data for the 2022 season to determine who holds the title of fastest player in the NFL:
Who is the fastest player in the NFL in 2022?
These are the fastest ball carriers in the NFL this season, as spotted by Next generation stats:
- Devin DuvernayBaltimore Ravens WR: 21.6 mph
- Tariq Woolen, Seattle Seahawks DB: 21.58 mph
- Rashod Bateman, Baltimore Ravens WR: 21.48 mph
- Chase Claypool, Pittsburgh Steelers WR: 21.46 mph
- Saquon Barkley, New York Giants RB: 21.11 mph
- Tony Pollard, Dallas Cowboys RB: 21.11 mph
- Joe Mixon, Cincinnati Bengals RB: 21.11 mph
- Amon-Ra St. Brown, Detroit Lions WR: 21.09 mph
- Kavontae Turpin, Dallas Cowboys WR: 21.09 mph
- Michael Jackson, Seattle Seahawks CB: 21.05 mph
Devin Duvernay takes the cake as this season’s fastest ball carrier so far. He reached a speed of 21.6 mph, which also beats last year’s fastest speed of 21.52 mph by melvin gordon. Duvernay accomplished the feat with a 103-yard kickoff return touchdown during the first quarter of a matchup between Baltimore and Miami.
Is Tyreek Hill the fastest player in the league right now?
Despite popular belief, Miami Dolphins wide receiver Tyreek Hill is far from the fastest player in the league right now.
In fact, the 28-year-old star isn’t even in the top 20, according to Next Gen Stats.
Hill was also not one of the top 10 fastest players during the 2021-22 season, however, he did make the list during the 2020-21 season. He was fifth with a 21.91 mph play during Week 14 while with the Kansas City Chiefs.
Who is the fastest NFL player in history?
Although we can’t say exactly who is the fastest player ever That is, considering that the NFL didn’t introduce Next Gen Stats until 2016, we can identify the fastest NFL player since 2016.
If we frame the question that way, the title of fastest player in the NFL goes to Hill. In 2016, Hill reached a top speed of 23.24 mph on a kickoff return against the Houston Texans.
Who were the fastest players in the NFL in 2021?
These were the fastest ball carriers during the 2021 season:
- Melvin Gordon, Denver Broncos RB: 21.52 mph
- Sammy Watkins, Baltimore Ravens WR: 21.05 mph
- Devin Duvernay, Baltimore Ravens WR: 21.01 mph
- Khalil Herbert, Chicago Bears RB: 20.88 mph
- David Montgomery, Chicago Bears RB: 20.80 mph
- Joe Mixon, Cincinnati Bengals RB: 20.66 mph
- Brandin Cooks, Houston Texans WR: 20.62 mph
- Henry Ruggs, Las Vegas Raiders WR: 20.62 mph
- Isaiah McKenzie, Buffalo Bills WR: 20.52 mph
- Anthony Schwartz, Cleveland Browns WR: 20.43 mph